Learning Network Statement on Anti-Black Racism
We grieve the loss of Regis Korchinski-Paquet, George Floyd, Tony McDade, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, David McAtee, and many more.
We stand in opposition to the systemic violence against Black life by police forces in Canada, the United States, and around the world. The continued devaluation of Black lives is inextricably tied to a centuries-long legacy of enslavement and to the deep-rooted systems of white supremacy, structural violence, and colonialism in our society today.
We are in solidarity with the Black community in protest against anti-Black racism and in the struggle for justice and freedom. We recognize and celebrate the Black-led work and leadership displayed in these efforts.
As members of a university-based organization with a mandate to engage in knowledge mobilization about gender-based violence, we commit to using our platform to:
- Ensure that recent Canadian work on the intersections of gender-based violence and anti-Black racism are featured on our website and social media platforms
- Collaborate with Black advocates to increase awareness of issues of misogynoir and transmisogynoir
- Create learning opportunities that amplify the voices of Black scholars, practitioners, and activists to our audiences
- Support Black-led efforts to make the field of gender-based violence prevention a safer and more inclusive space for Black people
- Learn from Black colleagues, stakeholders, and survivors how to better support racial equity in Canada
Black Lives Matter. We all have an ongoing role to play in dismantling white supremacy, both in our own institutions and in society more broadly. Support and learn from organizations leading the way in the struggle against anti-Black racism and violence in Canada:
Black Lives Matter Toronto: https://blacklivesmatter.ca/
Black Youth Helpline: https://blackyouth.ca/
Black Health Alliance: http://blackhealthalliance.ca/
Women’s Health in Women’s Hands: http://www.whiwh.com/
Black Legal Action Centre: https://www.blacklegalactioncentre.ca/
Black Women in Motion: https://blackwomeninmotion.org/Canadian Race Relations Foundation: https://www.crrf-fcrr.ca/en/